Happiness has different meanings for different people. As a matter of fact, for some happiness means having a peaceful life and on the other hand, it means having a party at the club. Every individual has different ways of perceiving what happiness means to them. Some people find happiness in small little things while others find it an expensive and lavish lifestyle.
What is important to stay happy? Generally, developing a positive habit does affect your happiness. Moreover having a productive and healthy routine also impact your happiness.
Here are 27 habits one should follow to know the real value of happiness and cherish it.
27 Habits to stay Happy
Working out daily can have a positive impact on your body and mind.
It can help you stay fit and fresh.
Thereupon it can generate a sense of satisfaction and joy inside you.
Also, it prevents anxiety and symptoms of depression.
It can also reduce stress.
Consider these exercise starters:
- Adopt the routine of taking a walk in the morning and after dinner.
- Start with yoga classes or maybe dance classes too.
- Start your day with 5 minutes of stretching.
2. Have a balanced diet
Food plays a major role in the efficient functioning of the body.
It is stated that “Your face is the mirror of the body”. If you keep your body unfit it will eventually be reflected on your face.
Hence, having stable food and diet keeps you healthy and fit.
It also helps you stay happy and joyful.
- Add Carbohydrates in your diet which release feel-good hormones called SEROTINE.
- Avoid food that contains sugar and starch and consume greater amounts of simple food.
- Increase your consumption of fruits, vegetables, fiber, and grains.
- Having protein-rich food also improves your diet.
- These foods release dopamine and norepinephrine, which boost energy and concentration.
- Avoid consumption of fried food as it makes you dizzy and lazy.
- Additionally, it makes you feel heavy and as a result, you start skipping meals.
- Try to adopt a lifestyle of more and more homemade food.
- Make your consumption of junk food limited.
- Adopting a healthier lifestyle will help you feel active and happy.
3. Be Thankful
Being thankful for what you have holds paramount importance in well being of an individual.
It boosts your confidence and makes you feel more positive signs.
According to a recent study, gratitude makes people feel confident and positive.
Wake up each day and be thankful for what you have in life.
Focus on what you have achieved and what you have already received.
Focus on the brighter side of life and do not think about the negative aspects.
Starting at small steps will make a bigger difference at later stages to nurture the fruits of a happy lifestyle.
4. Smile a lot more
When you smile you tend to show that you are happy.
When you smile your brain releases a hormone called DOPAMINE.
It affects your body and brain and you start feeling positive and happy.
People usually say that faking a smile in times when you are not happy is important. All the more, expressing your real emotions are equally essential.
It is not important to smile when you are sad inside.
It is okay to feel sad, it is okay to vent out your feelings.
But after you vent out your feelings, go in front of the mirror and repeat YOU ARE STRONGER THAN THIS and then smile even more.
Remember bad days are temporary and also remember about the bad times you have already fought and come out of it even stronger.
5. Having enough sleep
Having an adequate amount of sleep is very crucial for the healthy functioning of our brain.
It is also important for the proper functioning of our brain and our emotional well being.
At least 7-8 hours of sleep is very important for every individual.
People take naps because their body is not able to complete the right amount of sleep that is required by everybody for its healthy functioning.
Here are a few tips to help you build a better sleep routine:
- Firstly write down how many hours of sleep you get each night and how rested you feel. After a week, you would have a better idea of how you’re doing.
- Go to bed and wake up at the same time every day, including weekends.
- Avoid activities that require mental strain before going to bed. Also, avoid eating before you go to bed.
- Your surroundings should be comfortable enough for you to get enough sleep.
- If you have to take a nap, try to limit it to 20 minutes.
- If you have a disturbed sleeping pattern you should visit your doctor because it can be an indication of sleeping disorder.
- Sleep plays a pivotal role in happiness.
- If an individual does not get enough sleep they feel grumpy the entire day and thereupon end up affecting their mood.
- Most importantly waking up after a proper sleep helps in being positive and motivated throughout the day.
6. Practice meditation
Meditation helps you to stay focused and concentrated.
It helps you stay calm and positive.
Waking up every morning and practicing meditation can change your entire lifestyle.
It can help you stay focused and cheerful.
You will feel a positive change if you adopt this into your lifestyle.
7. Stay kind to people
Be a person who has positive vibes and who brings a smile on people’s faces.
Compliment people for their positive qualities.
Help people when needed as much as possible.
Do not hurt people, or do not be mean to them.
Be polite to everybody.
If unintentionally you have hurt someone, do apologize to them.
8. Respect for your bad times too
Every individual has had bad times and good times.
Having a positive attitude in life, even during your bad times is important.
Your bad times teach you a lot and make you even stronger.
Take deep breathes, relax for a while, and remind yourself that bad moments will pass.
Having this attitude can help you to stay positive and calm.
9. Keep a Diary
Keep a diary to express your feelings, emotions, and thoughts and to make plans.
Express your day to day thoughts and emotions and feelings.
It will help you have a better idea of your actions
If putting certain things in writing makes you nervous, you can always shred it after you’ve finished. Remember, it is the process that counts.
10. Meet your friends
Humans are social beings, and having close friends can make us happier.
Taking to your friends, sharing your feelings with them helps you feel relaxed and happy.
Get yourself involved in various hobby classes and finding like-minded people can make you feel happy.
11. Plan your week
Make a list of things you would want to plan for the weekend which makes you happy.
Give yourself a break and do things that give you happiness.
These small little things will change your mood and will give you a break from your daily schedule.
12. Avoid using your phone for some time
Ditch your phone for a while, distract yourself, and do some positive stuff.
Phones emit negative energy and can harm your brain.
Working diligently without a phone can help you feel fresh and energetic.
13. Listen to good music
Listening to music can help you feel motivated and fresh.
It changes your minds in seconds and helps you distract from stressful situations.
Moreover, it helps you feel positive and energetic.
14. Choose Therapy
We feel happy and motivated if we learn to overcome obstacles in life.
If you feel like you’re hitting a brick wall, consider speaking with a therapist every week.
You don’t need to have a diagnosed mental health condition or an overwhelming crisis to seek therapy.
Even just a few sessions can help you add some new goodies to your emotional toolbox.
15. Have your self-pampering days
On weekends pamper yourself with things that you love.
Maybe it’s unwinding your workweek with a long, hot bath. Or adopting a skincare routine that makes you feel indulgent. Or simply setting aside a night to put on your softest jammies and watching a movie of your genre from start to finish.
What so ever makes you happy put it in your diary and do not avoid it.
16. Go Out have fun
Even if you don’t have anyone to go out, just leave with your company.
Go to your favorite restaurant, watch a movie, or go on that trip you’ve always dreamt of.
Even if you don’t like to go out alone, try it this time.
Your own company is the best company one could have.
17. Let go your Grudges
This is often easier said than done. But you don’t have to do it for the other person.
Sometimes forgiving the other person is very important.
It helps you feel less burdened and you grow as a stronger person.
18. Stop comparing
Everybody has different definitions of happiness but if you compare yourself with others, you will never stay happy.
Whether we compare our finances, our body type, our vacations, our talents, our house size or even our shoe size, there are no winners in the game of comparison.
One thing you have to focus on is self-growth and self-love.
Be thankful for what you have, appreciate your hard work and keep working hard for yourself.
19. Don’t work without breaks
Take rests in between, indulge in anything which calms you down.
This will help you remain focused and concentrate on work.
Don’t take the stress of work and let it affect your body.
Love your work, it will make you happy.
20. Make Adjustment
When something goes wrong or you feel a bit off. Your mood is having a roller coaster ride hence distract yourself.
When you’re feeling stuck or heavy, take a walk, do something different than your normal routine rather than meet up with a friend.
If feeling anxious or stressed, tune-up with extra sleep, meditation/yoga or a hot bath.
21. Choose wise people in life
Always surround yourself with people that help you progress in life.
When these people help you stay happy and motivated you will see the changes.
Stay away from people who hold you back from achieving the best of your capabilities.
In short, always choose your company wisely. Don’t be around people who hamper your personal growth, they will hold you back in life.
22. Breathe for a moment
Firstly take your time to relax even after all the stress you have. Take short breaks in between to restore all the energy to work again.
Take a long breathe and then pause.
Close your eyes for a minute and focus on recollecting your energy.
You will feel much better and will be able to focus on work again.
23. Say it out loud
- Even if there’s no one listening, talk to yourself about what you need to do, and how fun that reports on Rome are going to be.
- Take out negative things from your mind and focus on the positivities.
- Stay as calm and positive as you possibly can.
24. Keep yourself busy
While you may have been looking forward to slouching on the couch, stuffing your face with cheese puffs, and getting orange powder all over the cushions, having this lazy time in the dark will gradually make you think little of yourself.
- Also if you are tired then read nap, do yoga, stretch, or do something peaceful and creative. If you’re up for it, jog, go on a brisk walk, anything to push off the laziness.
- Keep yourself busy as much as possible henceforth productively utilize your energy.
- Doing nothing takes your brain in the wrong direction.
24. Find your happy place
It may be sunning on a rock in your garden surrounded by flowers, or it may be snuggling into your mattress or even dozing over a good book.
It doesn’t matter where it is, just get there at least once a week! Make sure that you quiet yourself now and then and be grateful for all you have.
This will leave you refreshed and with a pleasing outlook on life.
Yourself, your flaws, your limitations.
Most important smile more often, and know that everything is balanced. Don’t get plastic surgery, settle for something that makes you happy.
The simple, sunbeam, every day, buttermilk pancake, fresh breeze, blue waters, the mountains, the snow, and those deep deep blue oceans kind of happy.
26. Go for It
Do things that make you happy, do not resist in front of your own needs.
Keep your happiness as your priority.
Most importantly, Live for yourself.
27. Adopt one social cause
At least help one person.
Bring a smile on their face.
Talk to them about life, make them forget their problems for a while.
Eventually, this will gives you inner satisfaction.