What is an Alkaline diet?
This is the kind of diet where the acid-forming food is replaced with the alkaline food items.
Acid forming food is considered harmful for the body as it exerts adverse effects on your body.
Food items that are Alkaline rich are said to improve the health of an individual.
The alkaline foods have another name, and that is an acid-alkaline diet or alkaline ash diet.
The more of alkaline foods in your diet makes your blood more alkaline while consuming more acidic food makes your blood more acidic, which is harmful to the body.
Some Acidic food items that should be avoided
7. DAIRY PRODUCTS
8. SODA AND OTHER SUGAR CONTAINING DRINKS
9. PROCESSED FOOD
10. FOOD WITH A LARGE AMOUNT OF PROTEIN AND SUPPLEMENTS.
What does pH value indicates ?
The pH value is an indicator of something ACIDIC, BASIC/ ALKALINE OR NEUTRAL.
If pH value is below 7, it means increase in acidity.
The pH value equals to 7 indicates towards neutral.
Lastly, pH value above 7 leads to increase in Alkalinity.
What should be the pH for a healthy body?
The human body is constructed in a way that it should maintain a healthy balance between acidity and alkalinity.
In this process, our lungs and kidneys have a crucial role.
An average blood pH level is 7.40 on a scale of 0 to 14, where 0 is the most acidic and 14 is the most basic.
The value mentioned above can vary slightly in either direction.
Benefits of Alkaline foods
The Alkaline rich diet improves the overall health of the body and guards against harmful infections.
The implementation of this diet also promotes weight loss.
This diet also helps to fight diseases like cancer and kidney disease.
The type of food which people eat in this diet helps to maintain body weight and curbs diseases like Diabetes also.
Studies have shown the relation of the alkaline foods with a cure for Back pain.
Heart diseases are one of the significant sources of tension among American citizens as it is one of the leading causes of death. Heart diseases are a result of poor lifestyle, malnutrition, and low activity.
Alkaline rich foods keeps your heart healthy.
Top 15 Alkaline foods
1. Leafy Vegetables
- Leafy vegetables are Alkaline rich.
- Remember when in childhood everybody used to force us to eat green vegetables.
- The reason was simple; these green vegetables have many health benefits.
- These vegetables contain many vital minerals that are required for the proper functioning of the body.
- Vegetables like spinach, lettuce, kale, celery, parsley, arugula, and mustard greens can enrich your meal with plenty of health benefits.
2. Cauliflower and Broccoli
- Broccoli and cauliflower are both a part of the alkaline foods.
- These vegetables are extremely healthy and help to improve your immune system.
- They contain various phytochemicals that are essential for your body.
- Mix these vegetables with other veggies like capsicum, beans and green peas
- Adding these vegetables to your diet can have a powerful impact on your immune system and can boost your metabolism.
- Try and eat these vegetables once a week, at least, to notice a positive impact in your body, skin, and a complete change of lifestyle.
3. Citrus Fruits
- Myths talking about how Citrus Fruits like Orange, Grapes are highly acidic and make our blood acidic are entirely false.
- Citrus fruits are highly alkaline in nature and are one of the best food items to be added to your diet.
- Lemon, lime, and oranges are filled with Vitamin C and are best known for helping our system to detox itself, which includes providing relief from acidity and heartburn.
4. Seaweed and Sea salt
- Were you aware of how seaweed or sea vegetables have 10-12 times more mineral content than those grown on land?
- These items are said to be highly alkaline in nature and thus can bring many benefits to our body.
- They can make our blood Alkaline, which is interlinked to many positive impacts on our body.
- You can tip in nori or kelp into your bowl of soup or stir-fries or make sushi at home.
- Or just sprinkle some sea salt into your salads, soups, omelette, etc.
- Inviting these habits to your lifestyle can result in a healthier version of you.
5. Root Vegetables
- Root vegetables such as sweet potato, taro root, lotus root, beets, and carrots are excellent sources of alkali.
- These can be even more tongue friendly when sprinkled with other spices and seasonings.
- In many cases, these Root Vegetables are overcooked due to which they lose their richness and benefits and are mostly of no other use except being tongue friendly.
- Pay attention while cooking, and you will fall in love with root veggies as you learn to include them in soups, stir-fries, salads, and more.
- You have to be careful because if they are overcooked, then they are of no importance to your body, and if appropriately served, then they come with a plate of taste as well as tons of health benefits to your body.
- Bananas, which are also known as “Potassium Sticks”, are extremely Alkaline.
- They have many other benefits on their list, like them being rich in fiber, which further helps to promote digestive regularity and sweep toxins out of the gastrointestinal (GI) tract.
- Most people run away from eating bananas because of its properties, which are related to weight gain. Consume them in the morning or at lunch and it won’t add the extra pounds to your body.
- One of the best ways to incorporate bananas into your diet is by making a banana cream, which is just the mixture of frozen bananas blended into a creamy consistency.
- It is essential to incorporate all types of food items in your diet for the healthy and proper functioning of your body.
7. Sweet Potato
- Here is the combination of healthy and tasty food which is Sweet Potato.
- Sweet Potato has higher quantities of starch, but it also has alkalizing properties added to it.
- They also contain many other fiber, vitamins, and minerals.
- Since sweet potatoes are rich in Fiber, they have less impact on the blood sugar levels in the body as fiber helps to slow down the release of sugar into the bloodstream.
- Make healthy Sweet Potato fries, which are both tongue friendly as well as takes care of your immune system.
- Celery not just has alkaline properties but also comes up with Cleansing properties.
- It is mostly water, so it helps in flushing out the toxins from the body.
- Celery is also a “negative calorie” food, which means it takes more calories to chew and digest than the total amount of calories it contains.
- Carrots are usually high-alkaline in Nature.
- These are really beneficial for improving our eyesight as they have Vitamin C in large quantities.
- Ideally, 1 cup of carrots contains more than 300 percent of the daily recommended intake of beta-carotene, which is an antioxidant form of vitamin A.
- Beta-carotene can also help in protection against cancer and also has positive impacts on the development of younger and glowing skin.
- Another rich source of Alkaline is kiwi.
- Kiwi also contains a plethora of antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals.
- We all know how orange is an excellent source of Vitamin C, but Kiwi has five times more amount of Vitamin C as compared to an orange.
- Are nuts your first option when hunger strikes you? If yes, then you are on the right track as Nuts also have alkaline effects on the body.
- Keep a record of how much you are eating since they are high in calories.
- Include cashews, chestnuts, and almonds in your daily meal plan.
12. Onion, Garlic, and Ginger
- Onion, garlic, and ginger are the essential ingredients in any Indian dish, as it is the taste booster in every meal.
- They can be used in plenty of ways like morning toast, grated ginger in your soup or tea, freshly sliced onions in salads, etc.
- Cherries are known as one of the world’s best sources of antioxidants, such as anthocyanins, which may help prevent cancer.
- Studies also support that cherries can help relieve inflammation linked to joint pain and arthritis, and may even prevent cardiovascular disease.
- Eggplant is extremely alkaline in nature and also offers phytonutrients such as chromogenic acid.
- It ensures the promotion of digestion and metabolism in the body.
- Pineapple is best known for its digestive properties.
- It also has an alkaline effect on the body.
Alkaline foods are a type of food that brings alkaline effects on your body.
In such a diet, acid-forming food is replaced with Alkaline forming food.
pH scale represents if something is Acidic, Neutral or basic.
If pH <7 , it makes your blood acidic.
pH value equal to 7 indicates neutral state.
The pH value greater than 7 shows a high amount of base or Alkalinity.
The average pH level for the Human body is 7.40.